This impressive work of engineering which allowed the Via Domitia to cross the Vidourle river is thought to have had 11 arches and to have been over 175 metres long.
Bridging the centuries:
In the Middle Ages, one could still cross the bridge. A church and a monastery were sited nearby, placing travellers under divine protection. In 1367, crossing the bridge with heavy loads was prohibited. A few years later the stones of the ramparts began to be taken for use in nearby building work.
The flooding of the river, known as 'Vidourlades', was partly responsible for its demolition:
The bridge, a work that arouses fascination:
Guided visits are available at 3pm every Saturdays and Sundays without booking (on pre-booking only for the other days or time according to our availability).
Site Museum visit: